Australian Prawn & Sweet Corn Chowder with Cheddar Scones
- 20 green Australian Prawns
- 40g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 500g potatoes, peeled & chopped into small dice 1 litre fish stock
- ½ cup single cream
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Creme fraiche & crispy chopped pancetta to serve
- Baby chervil to serve
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 40g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 50g grated cheddar, plus extra for sprinkling
- ¾ cup buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
- Sea salt & black cracked pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C.
To make the cheddar scones: Place flour & butter into a bowl & use your fingertips to mix in butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cheddar & buttermilk, season with salt & pepper & mix until just combined. Transfer to a floured surface & bring together. Roll out to 2 cm round & score into squares. Transfer to a lightly floured baking tray. Brush with extra buttermilk & sprinkle with extra cheddar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden & cooked through. Set aside.
To make the chowder: Heat butter in a large saucepan. Add garlic & cook for 1-2 minutes or untillightlybrowned.Addtheflour&stirfor1minute.Addpotatoes&stock,bringtotheboil stirring occasionally. Reduce heat & simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Using a stick blender blend until smooth. Peel & devein the prawns, removing the tails. Return to saucepan & add the cream, corn & prawns & cook for a further 5 minutes or until the prawns are cooked. Season with salt & pepper. Top with creme fraiche, crispy chopped pancetta & baby chervil to serve.